Some Thoughts on Being Candid

"It isn't about soldiering on but being open about what you're struggling with." -Rosh Mahtani (Business of Fashion)

Earlier in the week, an older coworker commented about the outspokenness of people my age while using social media. "When I was younger, it was unheard of to open up about details of your personal life," she began. "I still find it strange to be so candid with friends and family, let alone strangers online."

Her words did not come from a place of judgment or disapproval but rather one of amazement. Awe even. To her, it was a major culture shock.

It reminded me a bit of stories my mother, who is similar in age, would share about her childhood. Much like my coworker, she was raised to be seen not heard.

These generational differences come as no surprise to us. There has been a major shift in the value of transparency throughout the years, especially with the rise of the Internet. In some aspects, our society has learned to embrace being "real", with both ourselves and those around us.

Though at times, scrolling through social media can still feel unreal. Even while quarantined, everyone seems to have their lives together. It's interesting to think about how the opportunity to be completely raw with one another is hardly taken advantage of.

I'll be the first to admit that I spend time deciding on which photos and videos to upload that will showcase my brighter days while keeping the cloudy ones hidden from the world. In times like these, it just doesn't feel authentic to pretend like everything is rainbows and sunshine.

I have always been hesitant to begin a blog of my own. I felt intimidated by the idea of being honest with my thoughts and experiences online. But I find that the risk of vulnerability in my writing can have a greater reward in helping others who might feel alone in their struggles.

I'm excited to join the other girls of Let's Sip in creating a space of positivity for us to speak our minds and feel heard. I hope that by following our stories you build the courage to find your voice as well.

More to come, Sippers!

Sending love, always.

-Nature of the Girl 



Comments

Popular Posts