Songs For Our Mothers


“Acceptance, tolerance, bravery, and compassion. These are things my mom taught me.” -Lady Gaga

For some, Mother's Day won't feel the same this year. You may be apart from your family, keeping distance for their safety. You may be holding on to the hope that a loved one will make it home from the hospital just fine. You may even be lucky enough to be with your mother and grandmother this Sunday.

However your day is spent, it's significance remains true no matter our circumstances.

The women in our lives are often the ones we take for granted, the ones who we could never tell we love them enough. There are hardships to being a mother. There are sacrifices made that we cannot fathom the idea of at our young age.

Having a mother by your side is one of the greatest gifts we can have in this life. And being a mother can be one of the greatest blessings. 

The music I have chosen for this playlist reflects on the beauty of all kinds of motherhood. Comment below with a song to add and please feel free to share these special Mother's Day songs with someone close to your heart today.


The shortest song on Kacey's album Golden Hour, Mother is a simple reminder that we do not have forever with our loved ones and to value time spent together with them while you have the chance.

“I’m just sitting here thinking about the time that’s slipping and missing my mother.”


Written from the perspective of a mother struggling with childbirth, Sign of the Times is a powerful sentiment about the eternal bond between a parent and their child.

“We can meet again somewhere, somewhere far away from here.”


When I was younger, the finale of my dance recital was a performance of I Am Your Child in sign language, a dedication to our mothers and fathers in the audience. The lyrics honor our first teachers in life - our parents. 

“I am your hope, I am your chance. I am your child.”


Though sung by a father and daughter, I Learned From You recounts the lessons a child and parent teach one another throughout their lives together.

“All of the reasons to keep on believing, there’s no question, that’s a lesson I learned from you.”


In the song Never Grow Up, Taylor is hit hard by the realization that, as life is passing her by, everything she has now is only temporary - even her mother. Her memories of childhood are a bittersweet reminder to appreciate the smaller moments with the ones that you love.

“I just realized that everything I have is someday gonna be gone.”


Small Bump tells the story of a mother who has lost her baby through a miscarriage. The song is about the beauty of giving life and the vow mothers take at birth to protect their children for as long as they live- and even beyond that.

“‘Cause you are my one and only, you can wrap your fingers ‘round my thumb and hold me tight.”


Through her song Promises, Jhené reveals the challenges of being a mother while suffering from depression. She writes that, on her worst days, her daughter is her reason to keep moving forward.

“I don’t think I can make it, I don’t think I can make it. But then I hear you say that I bet not do nothing crazy, ‘cause Nami really needs you.”


A few years ago, a video went viral of a father singing Blackbird to his dying newborn son moments after his wife passed away from birth complications. Since watching, the song has become a personal symbol of the courageous sacrifice in health mothers make when bringing their children into the world.

“You were only waiting for this moment to arise.”


Porcelain is written about a young mother fighting addiction for the future of her unborn child. Much like the moon in a dark sky, motherhood is a beacon of light for the girl who has lost so much of herself to drugs and alcohol. A baby could be a sense of purpose for some who feel as though they no longer have a reason to be.

“Do you carry the moon in your womb?”


After following the story on his mother's blog, Taylor produced Ronan as a tribute to Ronan Thompson, a boy who passed away from neuroblastoma at only four years old. Touched by the heartbreak of his death, she and his mother wrote a song for parents who were not given enough time with their children.

"And what if I really thought some miracle would see us through? What if the miracle was even getting one moment with you?”


Our mothers are our first best friends. Whether they carried you in their womb or met you a little later in life, our mothers are the ones we can lean on when we feel weak. Our mothers are the ones who will guide us when we feel lost. Our mothers are the ones whose devotion to us will stand against the test of time.

“And if you ever forget how much you really mean to me, every day I will remind you.”

Check out nearly twenty more songs to add to your Mother's Day playlist!



“And I didn’t know if you knew, so I’m taking this chance to say that I had the best day with you today.”


“This is for all the mothers fighting for better days to come.”


“I never thought through love we’d be, making one as lovely as she."


“I’ll be there to protect you, with an unselfish love I respect you.”


“All kinds of magic all around us; it’s hard to believe. Thank God it’s not too good to be true. Oh, what a world and then there is you.”


“Well, you drive me crazy half the time. The other half I’m only tryna let you know that what I feel is true. And I’m only me when I’m with you.”


“God only knows what I’d be without you.”


“Promise me that you’ll give faith a fighting chance and when you get the choice to sit out or dance. I hope you dance.”


“I’ve built my life around you, but time makes you bolder, even children get older. And I’m getting older too.”


"In my daughter’s eyes, I can see the future. A reflection of who I am and what will be.”


“Girls become lovers who turn into mothers. So mothers, be good to your daughters too.”


"Half of what I say is meaningless but I say it just to reach you, Julia.”


“I’m everything I am because you loved me.”


“Do you ever know that you’re my hero and everything I’d like to be?”


“I have loved you for a thousand years. I’ll love you for a thousand more.”


“Lady Madonna, children at your feet. Wondering how you manage to make ends meet.”


“I see the whole world in your eyes, it’s like I’ve known you my whole life.”

Sending love to you and your mothers, always.

-Nature of the Girl ♡



Comments

Popular Posts